Job Description: Oversee the operations, maintenance and repair of the County’s water treatment plant including the laboratory and alum sludge treatment facilities. The position acts as Operator in Responsible Charge (ORC) for both the water plant and alum sludge treatment. The position is responsible for supervising personnel, safety compliance, training programs, preventative maintenance, and inventory management. The position is responsible for all federal, state, and departmental compliance monitoring, reporting and record keeping. The position works independently under general supervision of the Public Utilities Director.
• Supervises personnel, including selecting, training, scheduling, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining and terminating.
• Oversees the operation, maintenance and repair of the County’s water treatment plant.
• Oversees all compliance monitoring, prepares and validates necessary reports to ensure operations are compliant with state and federal rules and regulations.
• Orders and tracks inventory of chemicals, supplies and parts necessary continual operations.
• Develops and implements preventative maintenance programs for all assets at the water treatment plant.
• Develops and maintains standard operating procedures.
• Reviews and implements changes policies and procedures, as necessary to improve efficiency.
• Ensures adherence to applicable safety regulations.
• Oversees water quality monitoring throughout the distribution system and local purchase systems to ensure compliance with state and federal rules and regulations.
• Interacts with purchase systems regarding water quality issues.
• Oversees computer operations of distribution system, including hazards communications, reservoir and tank levels, pump status, pressures, alarms, etc.
• Develops trend reporting to ensure efficient water productions and distribution.
• Works with Engineers and Contractors to develop plans and construct improvements to the water treatment plant.
• Maintains record drawings of the water treatment plant.
• Identifies and prioritizes improvement projects to incorporate into the County’s capital improvement plan.
• Develops costs estimates and schedules for in-house projects.
• Analyzes past expenditures and proposed improvements to prepares annual budget proposals in coordination with the Public Utilities Director.
• Performs administrative duties and compiles data for special projects or reports as assigned, ensuring completion by specified deadlines and in accordance with established goals and objectives.
• Schedules and conducts tours of the water treatment plant and related facilities.
• Attends periodic technical or professional classes, workshops or seminars to improve professional skills and/or to maintain certification.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
The successful applicant shall have a bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, environmental studies, or a related field and five to ten years of experience in performing the essential functions of this position, or an equivalent combination of education and experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the primary duties of the position (ORC and managerial experience preferred); possession of an “A-Surface” Water Treatment Facility Operator Certification and a “Grade I” Physical/Chemical Wastewater Operator Certification. Hiring range $50,000 – $54,000 DOQ.
How to Apply: Send resume and completed application to Beth Crump, Human Resources, PO Box 425, Troy, NC 27371. EOE.
Posted 1/22/14 (0401)